Abused Spouse (Violence Against Women Act)

Abused Spouse (Violence A…

An abused foreign spouse (or child) of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident may seek lawful permanent resident status without the support of their abusive spouse or parent.

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

The law was created to help victims, regardless of gender, free themselves from having their immigration status being held hostage by their abusive spouse or parent. Therefore, these victims may seek lawful permanent residence independent of their abuser.

Physical Abuse is Not Necessary

Physical abuse and/or extreme cruelty perpetrated by a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse or parent may qualify a foreign national for immigration benefits under the law.

Speak with an Immigration Attorney

Sunil C. Patel Immigration Law has extensive experience helping victims of abuse seek immigration benefits under the law including VAWA based petitions. We are committed to honest, cost-effective immigration advice and services in every case. Schedule a consultation with attorney Sunil.

For More Information

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


“My mom chose Sunil as her lawyer because he was close by and it was convenient. It ended up being a great choice. My mom and sister tried to file an I-130 on their own. They totally filled out the affidavit of support wrong. Sunil was able to fix the…”
– Simone, ★★★★★ Review

Read More From Our Clients