R-1 Religious Workers

An R-1 nonimmigrant status is for foreign nationals coming to work as ministers or in other religious occupations or vocations for certain U.S. non-profits or religious organizations. An R-1 may work no less than 20 hours per week.

Religious Workers

An R-1 must prove that they have been a member of a religious denomination for at least two years with a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the U.S. However, prior work experience is not a requirement.

Five Year Limit

A foreign nation may seek to remain in the United States for up to five years. If the R-1 wishes to extend beyond five years, the religious worker may seek to reset the five-year limit by staying outside the United States for at least one year.

R-1 Dependents

The foreign spouse and children of an R-1 may seek R-2 dependent nonimmigrant status.

Speak with an Immigration Attorney

Sunil C. Patel Immigration Law is experienced with helping foreign religious workers seek R-1 status in the United States. We are committed to honest, cost-effective immigration advice and services in every case. Contact us for more information about how we can assist you.


“I am more than happy to recommend him for the immigration legal needs that may need to be addressed.”
– Pankaj, ★★★★★ Review

Read More From Our Clients