What does it mean to change my status?

A change of status is a request to go from one nonimmigrant status to another nonimmigrant status. For example, let’s say you’re a non-immigrant in the U.S. in F-1 student status and want to change to H-1B worker status. You may be able to change your status from F-1 to H-1B. You must be in the U.S. to successfully change your status.