» Change of Status

What does it mean to change my status?

A change of status is a request to go from one nonimmigrant status to another nonimmigrant status. For example, let’s say you’re a non-immigrant in the U.S. in F-1 student status and want to change to H-1B worker status. You may be able to change your status from F-1 to H-1B. You must be in the U.S. to successfully change your status.

I am out of status, can I extend my stay or change my status?

Generally, people who become out of status cannot extend their stay, change their status, or even under certain circumstances, adjust their status. However, there are exceptions to the rule. Further, your situation may be ripe for a nunc pro tunc request. Contact us to discuss your options.